Red Lentils meet Cabbage, Dates, Apple, Cinnamon, Hazelnut and Rocket
Dates, apple, hazelnut, cinnamon, rocket... this dish is predestined to be divine. How else but by divine provenance would a combination of ingredients like this one come to be? As a matter of fact, this recipe doesn't just sound good, it tastes absolutely delicious. I have discovered my favourite dish this winter, at any rate, and have already cooked it twice this week (and it's only Wednesday morning). Apples, dates, hazelnuts and cinnamon are ideal comfort foods for the wintertime in general and Christmas in particular. And they're a match made in heaven with red lentils and cabbage. See for yourself and get the recipe here...
Red Lentils with Cabbage, Dates, Apple, Cinnamon, Hazelnut and Rocket
- 100g red lentils
- ½ head savoy cabbage
- 1 apple (tart but slightly sweet, such as Boskop or Elstar)
- 50g dried dates (deseeded)
- 1 shallot
- ½ jar whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon or Sonnentor's Aladins Kaffeegewürz (coffee spice mix)
- 50g rocket
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 350ml water
- salt and pepper
- Peel and finely chop the shallot. Wash the cabbage, remove the hard, wooden core, let it drip-dry and cut into fine strips.
- Wash, quarter, deseed and cube the apple (1cm pieces). Halve, deseed and slice the dates.
- Heat up oil in a pan and cook the shallot briefly until translucent. Add the cabbage and steam for around 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the whipping cream and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Stir in apple pieces, lentils, dates and spice mix or cinnamon and cook over a medium heat for about 2 minutes.
- Now add water and cook over a medium heat for another 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Wash, shake dry and finely chop the rocket. Arrange the lentils and vegetables on plates, top with rocket and serve.
My secret tip: Instead of just cinnamon, I used Sonnentor's "Aladins Kaffeegewürz". Goes extremely well with the dish.